The use of technology has drastically transformed the way we do lots of things, particularly in the world of medicine. With a combination of virtual reality and treadmill training, an Israeli study shows that this may be an effective way to prevent dangerous falls associated with aging. Currently, this collaboration of virtual reality and treadmill techniques focuses on improving muscle strength, balance, and gait. The Israeli research team, in cooperation with partners across Europe, has found that physical mobility and cognition are important for safe walking. Participants reduced their risk of falling for at least six months post-training.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact one of our podiatrists from Footcare 2 You, Inc. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
The Elderly and their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet, and can hide many life threating medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
- Susceptible Infections
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact one of our offices located in West Orange, Toms River, Guttenberg, and Elmwood Park, NJ. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.